Read, enjoy and RESPOND. One of the things I can use in my life is accountability. You can help keep me honest, keep me thinking, keep me growing toward the person God intends me to be.

Friday, October 9, 2009

Citrus Salad

If you had told me at any point in my life up to this very one that I would suddenly realize that I seriously enjoy cooking (well, maybe we should call it food preparation today, since no fire was involved) I would have smirked in your general direction. I just haven't done that much of it, ever. I make a pretty good soup now and then. I can make a good salad, but who can't? Cooking has mostly been a matter of necessity...ran out of money to go out and eat! For many of my "grown up" years, I was single and cooking for one is not that much fun and eating out is even cheaper, so...Now that I have a husband I find that I picked one who is a "basics" guy, well, minus most veggies, especially fresh and colorful ones. This is not always a bad thing. He would happily eat meat and potatoes only for many, many nights.
Tonight, I am home by myself and I just made myself a citrus salad. My friend, Amy, made one last weekend and it was so tasty I had to have more.
It was tedious, messy and took forever. But the funniest part is that I enjoyed, seriously enjoyed, every messy moment of the whole process! I stood at the counter peacefully creating something that nourished my creative soul and will nourish my body. My mind was free to wander at will. All good. Go figure.
It was fun, rewarding, and will be yummy when I eat it tomorrow. What's not to like?
The challenge is, now that I realize this joy that is possible in my life, how will I work it in more often...
Well, I love a challenge!
I'm thinking a pot of chili tomorrow with the cooler weather...yeah.

No comments: