Read, enjoy and RESPOND. One of the things I can use in my life is accountability. You can help keep me honest, keep me thinking, keep me growing toward the person God intends me to be.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Be Careful What You Ask For

Because our God has a wicked...in the holiest aspect of the word...sense of humor, you had best be very careful what you ask for. Being a slow learner, I have to keep learning this lesson, over and over again.
Once I was asking for help with losing weight, controlling my tendancy to eat too much too often sort of thing. So, my little husband and I go off for dinner at Monroe's before a church meeting. You have to know that at that time we were going to eat there 2 or 3 or 4 times a week. They knew what to bring us without even asking. But, on this particular day they didn't come and they didn't come and they didn't come. When they finally did come there was only time for my diet coke with lemon before we had to leave for our meeting. As I was complaining to my little husband as we drove to the meeting, I heard "the voice" say, "What? You said you needed help controlling yourself, didn't you?" (chuckle, chuckle, chuckle...I could hear him chuckling, really)
The latest event was last week. For some of you this may come as a shock, but I have serious control issues. I know how I want things and I know how to get them the way I want them. Not always an attractive attribute. So, I have been praying to not have to always be in control, in charge.
His answer this time was much quieter, more subtle. I spent hours and hours this summer organizing all the things I wanted to teach this year and when, down to books I wanted to read and papers I wanted to copy...for all year! I was so proud of myself. Since school started I have spent hours and hours working on a schedule that worked for 4 people and 30 kids and allowed time for all of the massively amazing plans I had made over the summer. In the past this has been maybe an enjoyable 2 hour job that needed a tweek or two after the first day. By Thursday, I was a basket case. I wasn't sleeping. I was sick of retyping the schedule and lesson plan form and I wasn't seeing any way to fix it. Thursday morning I admitted to Stevie and Teresa and Susie that I couldn't do it. It was too much pressure and I didn't know what to do. And I cried. After they popped their eyes back in and picked up their jaws off the floor, Teresa prayed. Peace came down, we got through the day and that evening it all came together.
This evening I spent enjoyable time planning for next week...knowing that God is listening to me and He must think I am amusing! Giving God a reason to smile is a good thing, right?
I am blessed to work with Godly women.

No comments: