Read, enjoy and RESPOND. One of the things I can use in my life is accountability. You can help keep me honest, keep me thinking, keep me growing toward the person God intends me to be.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Two Kinds Of Tired

Today I got to go and ride Flicka, the mighty red riding lawnmower, for a few hours of what was probably the last ride of the season. It was great. Outside, listening to a great sermon or two on my ipod, just driving around. I saw monarch caterpillars in the wild (as opposed to in the aquarium at school) and resisted the urge to help them over to the jucier looking milkweed plant. Just like all summer when we were working long days at Shangri La Ti Da, I am tired. But, this tired is a refreshing tired. Does that make sense? I can see exactly what got done. I was in the fresh air. I didn't have to smile or talk to anyone else. I got some spiritual food from the sermons. I am refreshed.
Now, I am going to school to finish lesson plans. Since school has started I have been a whole different kind of tired. The mental stress of a teaching job leaves me everything but refreshed at the end of the day. Sure I can see what got done, but often I am stressed because I didn't get something else done, or meet the need of one more child who needed me, or didn't present the new concept clearly enough, engagingly enough for it to work. I am tired and it is a draining tired.
What I realized again this weekend is the need for balance. Since school started I have not taken any "refueling" time for me. I haven't created. I haven't spent time walking or working outside. I haven't read or listened to anything to feed me spiritually except for Sunday mornings.
I can so understand why people decide to leave the stress and live closer to God and the land...
What kind of tired are you?

No comments: