Read, enjoy and RESPOND. One of the things I can use in my life is accountability. You can help keep me honest, keep me thinking, keep me growing toward the person God intends me to be.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Baskets-my other hobby

These are just a few of my baskets. I really enjoy the peacefulness of creating them. I took a couple of lessons a couple of years ago with my friend, Autumn, and since then I have learned to read directions to make a basket on my own. But even more fun is the creating of an original basket. None of these show my latest "signature" detail that I try to put on each of my baskets these days. I don't guess I have photos of the newer baskets. The basket above is an original design for my friend, Sarah, in New Mexico.

The basket to the left is from a pattern and it is called a Shaker Cat's Head basket. If you look at the bottom you can see the cat's ears. This basket is sort of magic. You go along weaving and then it says turn it over. Voila...you have cat ear's. Lots of fun. This one went to my sister-in-law for her birthday.
This last basket is a twill weave market basket that I probably took apart 5 or 6 times as I was trying to get the twill right. I now carry this basket with me everywhere. It used to be my "pocket book" replacement, but now I have a pocket book small enough to fit inside the basket. It is my lunch box, mail carrier, general tote and supply keeper. I had to install leather band around the handle and woven into the basket after about a year because the handle kept breaking. Ahh, the joy of using something made by your very own hands...makes me think homesteading ... no, probably not in a very big way.
What have you made lately?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I still love my pink basket the most out of all of them! It holds all my magazines and people ALWAYS comment on it and how chelsea it is! I'll be digging into it this week to make a collage for class :)

Donna said...

Chelsea, you my dear are one of my best customers. I am so happy that you like what I make for you. Love you!