Read, enjoy and RESPOND. One of the things I can use in my life is accountability. You can help keep me honest, keep me thinking, keep me growing toward the person God intends me to be.

Friday, July 10, 2009

pickin' and grinnin'

Do you remember that from Hee Haw, I think? Well, today was not exactly pickin and grinnin, but it was readin and cleanin. Read a little and clean a little. I don't know why house cleaning is one of my least favorite things. I have friends who enjoy the whole process...really. Now, I enjoy a clean house, but cleaning? Not so much...so, reading is my reward. I got enough cleaned up in my craft room that I started a basket that should be finished tomorrow. So far it looks good. Needs to rest so that I can pack it all down nice and tight before putting the rim on to finish.
Basket making is one of those thoughtfully mindless (or is it mindlessly thoughtful) activities that give me great peace and joy. It is not very complicated so you have plenty of time to think and you see your product grow immediately. Much of my creating has a tendancy to take on its own life. I can have a pattern or an idea, but it is often different by the end of the process. As with so many things in my life it is the process that inspires me and excites me. A basket or other creation at the end is a delightful bonus.
My thoughts today kept wandering to the mission statement for my friend, Patrick's church...Connect Grow Serve. Can I go to bed tonight with a smile of contentment because I know I connected with someone else today (can I count you?)? Did I grow closer to God in any way? Was I a servant today? (And I don't think cleaning my own house counts.)
Ask yourself these questions before you go to bed tonight.
Are you smiling?

No comments: