Read, enjoy and RESPOND. One of the things I can use in my life is accountability. You can help keep me honest, keep me thinking, keep me growing toward the person God intends me to be.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

One Of Those Times

Have you ever had one of those times when you said you wanted to do thus and such, were sure you wanted to do thus and such, were looking forward to doing thus and such, but when the time came to actually do it you could think of a couple of thousand reasons why you didn't really want to, shouldn't really have to, couldn't really even imagine doing that very thing? By yesterday evening I was tired, it was going to rain (the weather map radar was very green), it was going to be late and I didn't really want to go to Chestnut Ridge to see String Fever in concert anymore despite the fact that we had planned to for a few weeks. We have seen them before in the comfort and closeness of Monroe's during a Laurel Mountain Coffee House. It would be OK if we didn't go, right? We are too old to sit in the rain with strangers, right?
Well, it didn't start raining and it didn't start raining and I found out the concert really started at 6:00, not so late even for us (although I was actually looking on line hoping to see that it had been cancelled). So, I finally said, "If Keith can get there, so can we." Off we went, praying the whole while that the rain would hold off and Keith would be strong enough to enjoy what he was doing.
The rain did hold off. I got a big hug from a friend I hadn't seen for years as soon as we walked in and saw a few other folks we knew during the evening. And talking with Keith at the end of the show let us know that he did enjoy what he was doing. His smile and spirit were strong.
For those of you who don't know, Keith has cancer and is generally in a lot of pain. He had to sit through the show. He had to wear a brace from chest to waist. And he sang and he played with his usual passion. He and Joan and Jake were a gift to all who were there.
I'm glad I went. It was a blessing and a testimony to the power of prayer.
Tonight I am going to see one of my graduated kindergarten darlings, Lydia, in the show Steel Magnolias. I'm sure I will be glad I went to this event, too.
Ever had one of those times?

No comments: