Read, enjoy and RESPOND. One of the things I can use in my life is accountability. You can help keep me honest, keep me thinking, keep me growing toward the person God intends me to be.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Choose Love

When the New Testament church began to form, they formed communities. The church wasn't a place, it was a people gathered together. Unified by their love of Jesus. They pooled all of their money and possesions and gave to whoever had need. They were a church family. You knew they were Christians by their love, by their love, yes, you knew they were Christians by their love. Sorry that song just needed to be finished. Now it won't be in my head all evening, but hopefully in yours!
God still calls us to community, to church family, to show his love so others will know we are Christians. Maybe your community is your neighbors, maybe it is the folks you work with (yes, even them), or maybe your community is your collection of friends and their friends. I just finished reading the book, Belong To Me, by Marisa de los Santos. It was a fine book, but I didn't cry til the end. One of the main characters, Cornelia, is talking about love. She talks about the ones she had been given to love and says, God knows it hasn't always been her choice, but they are undeniably hers to love. And she does. It isn't always easy or smooth, but she chooses love over and over again.
Are you chosing to love the people you have been given to love, even if you might not have chosen them for yourself?
Let's do that. Let's each of us choose love over and over again and thank God that he does the same for us.

No comments: