Read, enjoy and RESPOND. One of the things I can use in my life is accountability. You can help keep me honest, keep me thinking, keep me growing toward the person God intends me to be.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Missed an Answer

First official day back at work. It is always good to get all of us together and see all of the good folk who are Preston County Schools. We are an amazing bunch and should not let others tell us otherwise!
In the afternoon session we did a personality/leadership type activity with all the kindergarten teachers and aides. We were to decide if we were a North, South, East, West. Here are some of the highlights of each direction:
North-
· Assertive, active, decisive
· Quick to act or make decisions; expresses urgency for others to take action
· Perseveres, not stopped by hearing “No,”
· Likes variety, novelty, new projects
· Comfortable being "in front"


South-
· Value-driven regarding aspects of professional life
· Uses professional relationships to accomplish tasks

· Feeling-based thoughts and actions; trusts own emotions and intuition

· Values words like “right” and “fair”

East-
· Visionary who sees the big picture
· Generative and creative thinker, able to think outside the box
· Very idea-oriented
· Looks for overarching themes and ideas

- Likes to experiment and explore
(this one was the only one that had a recognition of a spiritual aspect)


West-
· Understands what information is needed to make decisions
· Seen as practical, dependable and thorough in task situations
· Moves carefully and follows procedures and guidelines
· Skilled at finding fatal flaws in an idea or project


So, as these were being read aloud there were several people who pegged me immediately as a North. Others pegged me as an East. I tried to be a NorthEast but when I had to choose only one, I chose East. I was the only one of all of us to go there. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I took the East sign over and worked with the North group which was also only 3 people. Everyone else was either South or West.
It might be that God is showing his sense of humor again...or answering prayer. I have prayed that I be different enough that I stand out from "the world". Well...He showed me I was and I chickened out and ran to find a group. Aaarrgh. That insight just come to me as I was typing this...what is wrong with me? He answers my prayer and I run the other way...
I guess I can live with being an action oriented decisive idea oriented visionary with a spiritual bent!
Could you find your leadership style? Which are you?
Hopefully I will learn to be a better listener...



4 comments:

Constance said...

I chose East for you when I read these. :) My girls (and I!) are going to have so much fun in your class this year! I know they are going to be in great hands and that makes me very happy.

Donna said...

Thanks, Connie!

tforman7 said...

God will find you Jonah, even if you run. If it makes you feel better I was in the group that likes to steal ideas from others. How Godly is that?

Donna said...

But then you share them with the rest of us...sort of like Robin Hood! thanks.