Read, enjoy and RESPOND. One of the things I can use in my life is accountability. You can help keep me honest, keep me thinking, keep me growing toward the person God intends me to be.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

This and That

BUTTERFLIES:
The last few times we have been out to Shangri La Ti Da I have seen a gala fluttering of butterflies. I counted 5 different types. The monarch is a favorite and there was a tiny...less than 1 inch wing span...periwinke colored beauty. I have no idea what kind that is. It felt like working in a butterfly zoo thingy. What are those called?
NEW VOCABULARY:
While reading the latest book by Anne Rivers Siddons, "Off Season", I came across 4 words I didn't know. Figured out the meaning well enough with the context...didn't want to get out of bed and get the dictionary...but now am going to see if any of you know the meanings. Ready?
1. numinous
2. chatoyant
3. plangent
4. benison
Isn't it fun to learn new words?
WORKING SOLO:
After doing a shopping for supplies day, my little husband left me to go do another job. I drove to Shangri La Ti Da to get the 40 firring strips off the top of the Subaru and put them in Flicka's stable. While there, I decided to try a little work without direction, on my own, alone. The firring strips are for the battens on our board and batten look. They are 8 feet long. I had to put up a trim piece that was also 8 feet long and 8 feet up off the ground...so, picture me, 8 foot board, ladder, tool belt, hammer, nails...
I eyeballed it and put a nail in the center for a pivot point. Got off the ladder, pulled my rule (you know, one of those cool ones that is metal and comes out and then when you let go, snaps back inside the little thingy?) out and measured from the 8 foot up board to the bottom of the siding over and over again all to get within 1/16th of an inch. Up and down the ladder, tapping, measuring both sides, tapping, measuring, up, down...finally!
Next, I took one of the 8 foot firring strips and nailed it up and down. Holding 8 foot board without letting it move, holding nail, hitting nail and not me (all but once...ouch!). I repeated that 4 times. Had issues with only one where I kept hitting a screw that I couldn't see under the firring strip...bent up 3 nails. I always try the brute force and ignorance plan first. Last, I trimmed about 1 inch off the bottoms of each firring strip with a really sharp little hand saw.
Time for paint! It's yellow and happy! We'll see if it passes muster with my little husband the real builder.
NEW FAVORITE COLOR:
Beet juice! I want to dye my clothes that color...it is beauteous!
How was your day?

3 comments:

Constance said...

Ha! Thanks for the funny visual of you ummm building...hahahahahaha Never seen any of those words before! Yikes, that would be a difficult book for me to read.

I agree - LOVE the color of beet juice!! Gorgeous color.

Donna said...

And my little husband said I did good! yeah.

Misty said...

numinous. I believe it has to do with spiritualism/divinity...

As for the rest, I have no idea.