Read, enjoy and RESPOND. One of the things I can use in my life is accountability. You can help keep me honest, keep me thinking, keep me growing toward the person God intends me to be.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Closet Number Geek

I am a closet number geek. I can't slice things without counting the slices. Anything repetitive, I count...like those little posts between mile markers on the interstate, tiles on the floor or ceiling, how many pedals in a mile on my new bike, Razzle. I like to make patterns or arrange things in order by size.
But perhaps the geekiest thing is with digital clocks. Each time I look at a digital clock, besides finding out what time it is, I try to make a math problem out of it. I don't do it on purpose, it just happens. For example, last night I woke up at 12:43, which translates to 12 divided by 4 = 3. ( and I guess technically that was this morning instead of last night) I bet that almost 80% of the times that I look at a clock I can make a math problem. Of course, just this minute when I looked it was 9:49. I can't make a math problem, but it is a nice pattern start. Sometimes it is only that the numbers in the time are in sequential order. 2:34 6:45 12:34 ( my personal favorite). Is it just me? Is it just that time is like that?
Oh, and I play a game while I am driving with the license plate numbers. I take whatever numbers are on the plate and try to do "math problems" to get the answer to be as close to zero as possible. For example, my plate numbers are 577 I think. So, I try 57 divided by 7 (8.something), 5 divided in to 7x7 (9.something)...anyway, you can rearrange the numbers but it is more "special" if you don't. What can I say.
I guess that I'm not a "closet" number geek any more....
Just pay attention for a few days and see what you see.
Off to the farmer's market in Oakland tomorrow.
ps Right now it is 9:54 - you do the math!

No comments: