Read, enjoy and RESPOND. One of the things I can use in my life is accountability. You can help keep me honest, keep me thinking, keep me growing toward the person God intends me to be.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Farmer's Markets



These are from an earlier farmer's market shopping trip in Kingwood.
Stacy, the lettuce is from your garden. Yum.

Today I stopped at the Farmer's Market in Oakland. I bought beets and corn on the cob. I don't know why for sure, but each time I shop at a farmer's market, I come away with a grin on my face and tears in my eyes...oh yeah, and great produce.

I suppose it has to do with my personal peaceful simplicity movement. I am thrilled that there are folks who have the know how and take the time to grow great food that is good for me. They are an interesting mix of "old timers" and young believers. They are, to a person, kind and gentle of spirit as far as I can tell in our short encounters. I always want to linger. It was easier to do in Oakland since there were more vendors and shoppers there. In Kingwood it is pretty sparse and loitering to soak up the atmosphere would be noticable!

But the best thing I found out today was about CSAs...and that's not the Confederate States of America for you history buffs. It stands for Community Supported Agriculture. I had read about it before, but kind of figured it was just another of those things that happens somewhere else. Not this time. There is a farm near Cranesville, WV called Round Right Farm (roundrightfarm.com) that participates in the CSA movement. You pay a fee at the beginning of the season and get a box full of whatever is growing each week. Here is this week's boxfull:

This Week's Box
Wednesday, August 5th
Green Peppers
Potatoes
Cabbage
Summer Squash
Green Beans
Onions
Carrots
Head Lettuce
Basil
Salad Mix
Cilantro
Beets
So, I signed up for possible inclusion in next year's program since they are full up for this year and I think that is wonderful. Check out their website.
Now is a good time to learn to think and live locally, in my opinion, and this is an excellent way to do just that.
Visit a farmer's market...soon! Friday in TA, Saturday in Morgantown, Kingwood and Oakland and Wednesday in Oakland...and that's just the one's I know about! Yum!

2 comments:

tforman7 said...

There is one in Bruceton also but I am not sure when it is, I will try to find out.

Donna said...

I am loving it!